Insurance Benefits for Teachers
Benefits Plus is the first and only liability insurance and benefits package to support yoga teachers and facilities with the business of yoga. In addition to low-cost liability insurance, membership currently includes Yoga Journal magazine and discounts on Yoga Journal LIVE Events, directory listings, books, DVDs, and other yoga media—benefits that help you stay connected to the larger yoga community. Benefits Plus will continue to grow and offer more benefits throughout the year.
Low-cost liability insurance
Below is a list of some the important benefits that you, as a yoga teacher, receive with Fitness and Wellness Insurance, a member of Philadelphia Insurance Companies:
- Special rates for part-time yoga/fitness instructors and part-time employees of yoga/fitness studios.
- High liability-coverage limits, up to $5 million aggregate per policy period per insured. (Most insurance programs have aggregate limits of $2 million or $3 million.) Professional liability insurance included. This protects you against bodily injury claims arising from rendering or failing to render professional services as a yoga instructor.
(For example, an injury resulting from an adjustment that pushes a student beyond his or her yoga fitness level.)
- Online administration: Transact claims contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Add additional insured visit www.fitnessandwellness.com and clicking on Additional Insured Certificate
- To request insurance certificates for your landlords contact: email@example.com.
- All coverages underwritten by Philadelphia Indemnity Insurance Company. Coverage is subject to underwriting review and actual policy wording. Coverage may not be available in all jurisdictions.
Description of Insurance Terms, Limits, and Coverage
Fitness and Wellness Insurance offers specialized insurance programs. Here are some brief descriptions:
- Basic coverage provides $2 million per occurrence; $4 million aggregate limit.
- Commercial general liability provides premises protection for claims arising from the facilities you own, lease, or occupy.
- Miscellaneous professional liability protects against bodily injury arising out of rendering or failing to render services.
- Personal injury liability protects you against suits involving libel, slander, or wrongful invasion of privacy.
- Sexual abuse liability provides $100,000 per occurrence; $300,000 aggregate limit.
- Product liability provides $1 million aggregate limit.
A One-Year Subscription to Yoga Journal
Yoga Journal is the most trusted source for definitive yoga information and everyday inspiration. Published nine times a year and covering all aspects of the practice, your subscription also includes the Annual Directory, a guide to more than 1,000 yoga resources and a national listing of yoga instructors. If you are already a Yoga Journal subscriber, Benefits Plus extends your existing subscription by one year.
*A one-year subscription to Yoga Journal is valued at $15.95. If you do not wish to receive a subscription to Yoga Journal, you can obtain a $15.95 refund by calling (877) 438-7459 or going to www.yogajournal.com/benefitsplus_refund/. Memberships take 4 to 6 weeks to process and your refund requests may also take 4 to 6 weeks to process. For other questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (877) 438-7459.
Up to $75 off a Yoga Journal Directory Listing
As a Benefits Plus member you are entitled to $75 off a Yoga Directory listing featured online on www.yogajournal.com or in the Jan/Feb issue of the magazine. Online directory listings can be purchased year round by going to www.yjdirectory.com. The next version of the print directory will appear in the Jan/Feb Issue of Yoga Journal. Sales for this print directory open July 1st and listings must be submitted no later than October 1st. Use the coupon code listed in your membership letter to redeem your discount for either of these listings, or call the directory sales office at (800) 921-9642 for assistance.
Get 10% off any Yoga Journal LIVE Event during a year of coverage. (Worth up to $500/year)
Deepen your practice and your teaching! Join the nation's premier yoga magazine for events in San Francisco; New York; San Diego; Estes Park, Colorado; and Hollywood, Florida. Each YJ LIVE Event features the world's leading yoga teachers from a wide-spectrum of yoga traditions. Faculty members include Baron Baptiste, Seane Corn, Ana Forrest, Richard Freeman, Sharon Gannon, Gary Kraftsow, David Life, Dharma Mittra, Aadil Palkhivala, Shiva Rea, Rod Stryker, Patricia Walden, and Rodney Yee. Individual teachers are entitled to a 10% discount on any Yoga Journal LIVE Event during a year of coverage, for a total discount worth up to $500 a year.
This offer is valid for the Main Weekend Events, All Day Intensives, Day Passes, and the Business of Yoga Workshop as per space available. Please note this offer does NOT apply to special events and discounts will not be applied retroactively.
For more information on each YJ LIVE Event or to register, visit http://www.yjevents.com.
Save 15% on Yoga Mat and Equipment Purchases at Yoga Direct
YogaDirect.com is a premier source for all your Yoga Mat and Prop Equipment needs. With the extra 15% discount available to Benefits Plus members YogaDirect.com will help you build your classes and outfit yourself without breaking the bank
Individual Disability Insurance from Northwestern Mutual
Being out of the workforce – even for a short period of time – can be devastating financially especially if you are in an industry where your body is your tool. Disability coverage can give you resources and options to deal with a disability in the best way possible. Income items, such as pension and/or profit sharing contributions, deferred compensation, commissions, and bonuses, may be included in insurable income, providing coverage that more closely matches your financial need. These individually designed coverage plans also help replace the loss of earned income with …
- Benefits Payable for total and partial disabilities
- Choices of various beginning dates and maximum benefit periods
- Benefits that can be indexed for inflation
- Options available to purchase additional coverage as your income/needs increases
- Various plan designs providing personal as well as business protection
For more information visit www.yogajournal.com/disability or call 415.733.6745
Free Downloadable Teachers Resources
As a Benefits Plus member, you're entitled to download free valuable resources to use in your teaching and for your business, including:
NEW! How to Open a Yoga Studio Series. A three-part series with expert advice on the basics of opening a studio, from creating a business plan, to negotiating your lease.
NEW! How (and Why) to Teaching Chanting and Mantra. Learn the history of chanting and mantra, and some popular chants to help you get started.
NEW! Yoga for Stress and Burnout. Learn how to use yoga to reduce stress levels, and greatly improve your health and quality of life.
NEW! Sequencing for Sleep. This guide will give you some tools to teach students with sleep disorders, and combat even the toughest insomnia.
NEW! Thawing a Frozen Shoulder. With slow and careful guidance, you can help a student (or yourself) work through one of adulthood’s common injuries.
Marketing 101 for Yoga Teachers. Learn how simple, inexpensive marketing techniques can boost your class numbers and elevate your career.
Beyond the Studio. An extensive guide on how to plan a retreat, including the nuts and bolts of choosing a location, selecting the amenities, planning the program, advertising, marketing, and assessing your success.
Accounting Tips for Teachers. Learn the tax benefits of being an independent yoga teacher.
Yoga Journal Video Resources
As a Benefits Plus member, you have access to FREE video resources. Download MP4 files to use in your teaching.