Souping is the new juicing. Load up on fresh fruits, veggies, and herbs without losing any of the filling fiber in these three tasty cold soups.
Corn Chowder with Seared Scallops
This hearty purée complements summer corn’s sweet flavor with a protein-rich seafood topping.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large potato (4 oz), such as Yukon Gold, diced
- 1 red bell pepper or 1 hot chile, seeded and diced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Corn kernels from 4 ears of corn
- 1 lb sea scallops
- ½ tsp paprika or ground chipotle
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm 1 tbsp oil. Add potato, pepper, onion, and salt, and cook until onion starts to brown, 5 minutes. Add broth and 2 cups water; bring to simmer over medium heat. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 10 minutes. Add corn and blend soup with immersion blender (or in batches in standing blender). Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- Season scallops with paprika and black pepper. In a skillet over medium heat, warm remaining 1 tbsp oil; cook scallops, turning once, until well browned and cooked through, 2–3 minutes per side. Divide soup among four bowls and garnish with scallops.
NUTRITIONAL INFO297 calories per serving, 9 g fat (1 g saturated), 37 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 19 g protein, 400 mg sodium
Spinach-Lemon Basil Soup
Frothy and light, this refreshing soup is packed with iron-rich spinach. The basil leaves deliver heart-healthy vitamin K, plus antibacterial and antioxidant compounds.
- 1 lb spinach
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups fresh basil, plus 4 leaves for garnish
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon (reserve and quarter lemon for garnish)
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- ¼ cup chopped Marcona almonds
- In a blender on high speed, combine spinach, broth, basil, sour cream, garlic, and lemon zest until smooth. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Divide soup among four bowls and garnish with cucumber, almonds, lemon wedges, and basil leaves.
NUTRITIONAL INFO 192 calories per serving, 14 g fat (6 g saturated), 12 g carbs, 5 g fiber, 7 g protein, 255 mg sodium
Strawberries add a subtle sweetness and immune system–supporting vitamin C, while coconut milk and avocado provide richness.
- 1 lb strawberries, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15-oz can light coconut milk
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon or cardamom
- 2 beets or 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/3 cup chives or ½ cup thinly sliced fresh mint
- In a blender on high speed, blend strawberries, broth, coconut milk, and cinnamon until smooth. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Split soup among four bowls; garnish with beets, avocado, and chives.
NUTRITIONAL INFO 217 calories per serving, 14 g fat (8 g saturated), 20 g carbs, 7 g fiber, 4 g protein, 116 mg sodium