Cream of Lentil Soup
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional InformationServes 8
Amount Per SERVING:
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms, divided
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups lentils
- 1/2 tsp. chopped chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tsp. sherry vinegar
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 slices sourdough bread, crusts removed, cubed
- 1 1/2 Tbs. chopped chives
- To make Soup: Cover mushrooms with 2 cups boiling water in bowl. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain, and reserve liquid. Remove and discard stems, then thinly slice caps. Set aside.
- Heat oil in pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 7 minutes, or until soft. Add lentils, chipotle, 1/2 cup mushrooms, reserved mushroom liquid, salt and 5 cups water. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer, partially covered, 45 minutes. Purée in blender or food processor. Return to pot, and stir in milk, vinegar and butter.
- To make Croutons: Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and remaining mushrooms, and cook 1 minute, or until browned and crisp. Transfer to bowl. Add bread cubes to pan, and sauté 3 minutes, or until browned. Toss croutons with mushrooms. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with croutons and chives.