Eastern European Red Lentil Soup
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional InformationServes 8
Amount Per SERVING:
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 11/2 cups red lentils
- 2 Tbs. ground cumin
- 1 15-oz. can chopped tomatoes with liquid
- 1 Tbs. honey
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in red lentils and cumin, and cook 1 minute, or until cumin is fragrant and lentils are coated with oil. Stir in tomatoes with liquid, honey, bay leaves, and 7 cups water. Season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
2. Cover pan, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until lentils are soft and falling apart, and soup is thick. Add a little water to thin soup, if necessary. Remove bay leaves, stir in vinegar, and serve with dollops of yogurt.