My YJ Recipes
Nutritional InformationServes 8
Amount Per SERVING:
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 15-oz. can chopped tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup vermicelli
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- To make Harira: Cook lentils in pot of boiling salted water 2 minutes. Drain.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, parsley, cilantro, ginger, and cinnamon; sauté 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Stir in tomatoes, and sauté 5 minutes more.
- Stir in broth, chickpeas, lentils, reserved tomato liquid, and 3 cups water. Season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 45 minutes, or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
- To make Tadouira: Whisk flour with 1 cup water in bowl. Whisk in cilantro, lemon juice, and tomato paste. Stir Tadouira and vermicelli into Harira, and cook 3 minutes, or until noodles are soft. Serve with lemon wedges.