My YJ Recipes
Nutritional InformationServes 4
Amount Per SERVING:
- 1 lb. seitan, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pickle juice
- 1/2 cup beet juice or beet borscht
- 1 tsp. pickling spice
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup soy mayonnaise
- 3 Tbs. ketchup
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped pickles
- 8 slices rye bread
- 4 slices Swiss or soy cheese
- Sauerkraut, for garnish
1. To make Seitan: Place seitan in baking dish. Bring pickle juice, beet juice, pickling spice, garlic powder, pepper, and 1 cup water to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes. Strain marinade, and pour over sliced seitan. Cover and cool. Chill overnight.
2. To make Reuben Sauce: Combine all ingredients in bowl.
3. To make Sandwiches: Preheat oven to broil. Set bread slices on baking sheet. Top 4 bread slices with drained Seitan and cheese. Broil 5 to 7 minutes, or until Seitan is hot and cheese is melted. Transfer Seitan-topped bread slices to serving plates, and garnish with sauerkraut. Spread remaining 4 bread slices with Reuben Sauce, and place on top of Sandwiches.