Tangy Tomato Jam
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional InformationMakes 4 cups
Amount Per 2-TBS. SERVING:
- 2 1/2 lb. beefsteak tomatoes (4 tomatoes)
- 2 Granny Smith apples, grated (2 cups)
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tsp. minced jalapeño chile
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Cut an X on ends of tomatoes with knife, and drop into boiling water for 10 seconds. Remove, and cool in bowl of ice water. Peel and quarter tomatoes.
- Combine tomatoes, apples, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and jalapeño chile in large nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a rapid boil, and cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and smashing tomatoes until broken down. Skim off any foam.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes more, or until jam thickens. Transfer to 8-oz. jars or serving bowl. Serve warm or chilled.