Carrot, Wakame, and Kale Stew
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional InformationServes 6
Amount Per 1-cup serving:
- 1/4 cup wakame
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (1/2 cup)
- 2 small carrots, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1 celery rib, diced (1/4 cup)
- 1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 bunch kale (12 oz.), trimmed and chopped (6 cups)
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/8–1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1. Place wakame in small bowl, cover with cold water, and soak 15 minutes,or until soft. Drain, squeeze out liquid, and set aside.
2. Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Add cannellini beans, lima beans, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
3. Transfer half of soup to food processor, and purée until smooth. Stir mixture into remaining soup in pot, and add kale. Cook 5 minutes more, or until kale is tender. Stir in oregano, nutmeg, cayenne, and drained wakame.