Spicy Sun-Dried Tomato Soup with White Beans & Swiss Chard
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional InformationServes 8
Amount Per 1 1/2-cup serving:
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (1 cup)
- 2 ribs celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, sliced (1 cup)
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15-oz. can small white beans or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped, plus 2 Tbs. oil from jar
- 1/2 bunch (6 oz.) Swiss chard, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup torn fresh basil
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook 1 minute, or until garlic is fragrant. Stir in onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, and rosemary, and cook 10 to 15 minutes, or until onions are soft.
2. Add broth, 1 can tomatoes, and beans. Scoop 1 cup mixture into food processor or blender, and add remaining can of tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, and sun-dried tomato oil. Purée until smooth, stir mixture into soup, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Simmer 10 minutes.
3. Add Swiss chard and thyme; simmer 5 minutes more, or until chard is wilted. Remove pan from heat, and stir in basil.