Red Pepper-Carrot Soup
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional InformationServes 6
Amount Per 1-cup serving:
- 2 large red bell peppers (1 lb.), plus slices for garnish, optional
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large onion, sliced (2 cups)
- 2 large carrots, sliced (1/2 lb.)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place bell peppers on baking sheet, and roast 1 hour, or until skin is wrinkled and blackened all over, turning peppers occasionally with tongs. Transfer to bowl, and cover with plastic wrap 10 minutes to steam. When peppers are cool enough to handle, rub off blackened peel, and remove seeds.
2. Heat oil in 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add curry powder and bay leaf, and stir 10 seconds. Add onion, carrots, garlic, and salt. Cover, and cook 10 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
3. Add 4 cups water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, 25 minutes.
4. Transfer carrot mixture to blender, add bell peppers, and purée until smooth. Stir in lemon juice. Garnish servings with bell pepper slices, if using.