Garlic and Kale Soup
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional InformationServes 6
Amount Per 1-cup serving:
- 1/2 cup wheat berries
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3.5 oz. shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup brown rice vinegar
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 bunch kale (10 oz.), stemmed and coarsely chopped
1. Soak wheat berries in large bowl of cold water overnight.
2. Heat oil in 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and season with salt, if desired. Sauté mushrooms 10 minutes, or until beginning to brown. Add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes more. Stir in vinegar; simmer until vinegar is almost evaporated, stirring to scrape up browned bits from pan.
3. Drain wheat berries, and add to mushroom mixture with vegetable broth and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes. Add kale, and cook 10 to 20 minutes more, or until kale is tender. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.