Spiced Balsamic-Beet Compote
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional InformationServes 6
Amount Per 1/2-cup serving:
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 large beets, peeled and finely diced (3 cups)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala or curry powder
- 2 shallots, halved and thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
Directions1. Cover raisins with boiling water, and let stand 30 minutes. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, cook beets in large pot of boiling water 10 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, and set aside.
3. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garam masala, and cook 20 seconds, or until fragrant. Add shallots, and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in beets, raisins, vinegar, sugar, salt, and 1/2 cup water. Cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until compote is thickened. Cool.