My YJ Recipes
Nutritional InformationMakes 4 cups
Amount Per 1/2-cup serving:
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 2 Tbs. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
Directions1. Combine vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, and garlic powder in large bowl. Stir in 1 cup broth and 2 Tbs. soy sauce until thick dough forms, adding more broth if necessary. Knead dough in bowl with wooden spoon 2 to 3 minutes, or until dough is elastic and easy to handle. Shape into 1 large or 2 small loaves.
2. Place seitan dough in large saucepan, and add remaining 4 cups broth, onion, and garlic, adding enough water to cover seitan pieces. Cover saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 to 45 minutes, or until seitan pieces are firm. Remove from heat, and cool in broth. Use in any recipe calling for seitan.