Fennel and Tomato Soup
Amount Per 1 2/3-cup serving:
Fennel and tomato pair nicely for an Italian-style tomato soup. Save fennel fronds to use as a garnish. This soup freezes well, so you may want to double the recipe to save half for later.
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, diced (4 cups)
- 3 vegan Italian sausages, sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds (2 cups)
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 2 Tbs. dry vermouth, dry white wine, or water
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes, preferably San Marzano
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh Italian parsley
Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat. Add fennel, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in sausages and fennel seeds, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until fennel seeds are slightly softened and bits of sausage are stuck to bottom of pan. Add vermouth, and cook 5 to 10 seconds to deglaze pan, scraping up any brown bits. Add broth, tomatoes, and parsley; cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.