German Cabbage and Potato Casserole with Caraway
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional InformationServes 8
Amount Per 1 1/2-cup serving:
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cubed
- 2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 8 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 3 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 Tbs. butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
Directions1. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, and sauté 5 minutes. Add apples and caraway seeds, and sauté 3 minutes, or until apples begin to soften. Stir in cabbage and dried cherries, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 15 minutes. Add wine, vinegar, and 1 cup water, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and simmer 30 minutes more.
2. Bring potatoes and enough water to cover to a boil in saucepan. Cook
10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Mash potatoes, reserved liquid, sour cream, and butter in saucepan until smooth. Stir in chives. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spoon cabbage mixture in 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes over top. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until potato topping begins to brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.