Cauliflower, Green Peas, and Potatoes in Spicy Herb Sauce
My YJ Recipes
Toasted spices and fresh herbs add intrigue to potatoes and cauliflower.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
1 small head cauliflower
2 medium-sized potatoes, peeled
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 cup ghee or light vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups shelled fresh or frozen peas
1 1/2 cups finely chopped tomatoes
3 teaspoons kosher salt
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
1. Cut cauliflower into 1-inch florets. Peel the central stem and cut into inch slices. Dice potatoes.
2. Measure spices and place them, along with all the vegetables, next to the stove.
3. Eat the ghee over medium-high heat in a deep, heavy-bottomed frying pan. Add cumin seeds and fry until brown, about 20 seconds. Add ground cumin, coriander, turmeric, and red pepper flakes. Stir for a moment and immediately add cauliflower, potatoes, and fresh (but not frozen) green peas.
4. Stir constantly until the vegetables begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and salt, and continue cooking until mixture thickens and the fat begins to separate from the sauce, about 15 minutes. (If using frozen peas, add now.)
5. Continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped coriander leaves and serve.