Fettuccine with Kale Pesto
My YJ Recipes
This healthful pasta dish gets its roots from Mediterranean cuisine.
4 cups stemmed, chopped black kale (about 1 bunch)
1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 pound fettuccine
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with ice and cold water.
2. Plunge the kale into boiling water for 3 minutes. With tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the kale to the ice water. Drain kale in a colander and squeeze out excess water.
3. Purée the kale in a food processor with 1/2 cup cheese and remaining ingredients (except pasta) until smooth
4. Return water to a boil and add the fettuccine. Cook according to package directions until al dente.
5. Just before the pasta is done, remove 2 tablespoons pasta cooking water and add it to the kale pesto. Add remaining 1/2 cup cheese and mix well.
6 Drain the pasta, and then toss with kale pesto.
Also: Read the full article about Mediterranean cuisine, Food for Life.