Turkish-Style Vegetable Stew
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional Information4 servings
Amount Per serving:
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, halved then sliced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 6 oz. green beans, trimmed and halved lengthwise, then crosswise
- 6 oz. okra, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 28-oz. can whole peeled Italian-style tomatoes, drained, 1/2 cup juice reserved
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
Meal plan: Serve with warmed whole-wheat pitas (wrap in foil and heat in a 400F oven for about 10 minutes) and some hummus and Greek olives from the deli.
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in green beans, okra, tomatoes, reserved tomato juice, broth and cumin. Bring to a boil, breaking up tomatoes with wooden spoon. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-low. Stir in zucchini, parsley, salt and pepper, cover and cook until zucchini is just tender, about 8 minutes. Serve hot.