Brazilian Black Bean Stew
You need to be logged in to rate recipes.
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional Information6 servings
Amount Per serving:
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (1 to 1 1/4 lbs.), peeled and diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 small hot green chili pepper, or more to taste, minced
- 2 (16-oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ripe mango, pitted, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Steam some Swiss chard while the stew is simmering and serve with warmed flour tortillas.
In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook, stirring, until onion is golden, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, bell pepper, tomatoes (with liquid), chili and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender but still firm, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in beans and simmer gently, uncovered, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in mango and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Stir in cilantro and salt. Serve hot.