Polenta 'Pizza' with Kale Topping
You need to be logged in to rate recipes.
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional Information8 to 10 servings
Amount Per serving:
- 1 recipe Basic Polenta (soft version)
- 1 large bunch kale (1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 1/2 cups homemade or store-bought tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or soy cheese (3 oz.)
- Lightly oil large nonstick baking sheet with sides. Set aside.
- Make soft polenta. As soon as it is quite thick but still pourable, immediately scrape warm polenta into center of prepared baking sheet, tilting sheet until mixture forms large circle not quite 1/2-inch thick. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- Strip kale leaves from stems; tear leaves into large pieces. Transfer to large bowl or sink of cool water and swish vigorously to remove sand and grit. Lift out leaves; repeat washing as necessary.
- In large pot, combine kale and 1 cup lightly salted water. Cover, bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until tender but still somewhat chewy, about 10 minutes. Drain and cool, then squeeze out some but not all water. Transfer to cutting board and coarsely chop.
- Preheat oven to 400F. To assemble, spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce over polenta crust, leaving 1/2-inch border. In medium saucepan, heat remaining tomato sauce; stir in kale and heat through. Spread kale mixture over polenta, then sprinkle with mozzarella (if using soy cheese, add a minute or two before pizza is done).
- Bake until polenta crust is heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve right away.