My YJ Recipes
Nutritional Information6 Servings
Amount Per serving:
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- Papaya-Avocado Salsa (recipe p40) or Mango Salsa (January '98, p41)
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large chayote, shredded (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 large boiling potato, peeled and shredded (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 small yellow onion, shredded
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- Place chayote, potato and onion in colander and squeeze out excess moisture. Transfer mixture to medium bowl and mix in eggs, cornmeal and seasonings.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook cakes in batches, scooping about 1/2 cup into skillet for each cake and pressing down to form 4- to 5-inch disk. Cook until both sides are lightly browned, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer finished cakes to a warm plate and cover. Repeat with remaining mixture, adding more oil to skillet if necessary.
- Serve right away with Mango Salsa or Papaya-Avocado Salsa.