Cherry-Filled Bread Ring
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional Information12 Servings
Amount Per serving:
- 3 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbs. butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, toasted
- 2 cups dried cherries
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1-inch piece off each long edge and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. With an electric mixer at low speed, blend in butter.
- In small bowl, mix eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and beat just until blended. Gather dough into a ball, dust with flour, flatten into disk and wrap well. Refrigerate overnight.
- Filling: In food processor, combine all ingredients, except egg white, and process until coarsely chopped and blended. Cover and let sit overnight at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease baking sheet. Roll dough out between two sheets of plastic wrap or waxed paper into an 18 x 9-inch rectangle. Remove top sheet. Trim a
- Spoon filling in a 2-inch wide strip lengthwise down center of dough. Lift plastic wrap at one long edge and fold dough over half of filling. Fold the other side over filling and press edges together to seal. Invert seam-side down onto prepared baking sheet; remove plastic. Pinch the two ends together to form a ring.
- With sharp knife or small cookie cutter, cut out reserved trimmings in leaf shapes. Brush bread ring with egg white and decorate with cut out dough. Brush with egg white again.
- Bake until lightly golden, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes on baking sheet. Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely.