Butternut Squash Pancakes
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional Information20 pancakes
Amount Per pancake:
- 2 cups peeled and grated butternut squash (1 lb. squash)
- 2 cups grated potato (about 2 medium)
- 1 medium red onion, grated ( 1/2 cup)
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried sage
- 1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 Tbs. unbleached white flour
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Place squash, potatoes and onion into a colander. Add 2 teaspoons salt, mix and let drain over sink, about 15 minutes. Press vegetables several times to extract water.
- Transfer vegetables to a medium bowl. Add garlic, sage, nutmeg and egg and mix thoroughly. Add flour and season with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Heat about 1/8-inch oil in heavy-bottomed large skillet. Using a heaping tablespoon, drop pancakes into oil; press down with a spatula to flatten and ensure even cooking. Cook 1 to 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove to platter and keep warm. Cook remaining batter adding more oil to pan when necessary.