Spinach, Blood Orange and Macadamia Nut Salad
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional Information4 Servings
Amount Per Serving:
- 3 l/4 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
- 4 blood oranges
- 5 cups baby spinach leaves, washed, stemmed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup cooked corn
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 Tbs. sherry vinegar
- 3 Tbs. hazelnut oil
- 2 Tbs. fresh blood orange juice (reserved from sectioning fruit)
1. In small dry skillet, toast macadamia nuts over medium heat until light golden brown and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Peel and section oranges over small bowl to catch juice. Cut segments into 1/2-inch dice. Reserve juice for dressing.
3. In large bowl, combine toasted nuts, oranges, spinach and corn.
4. Make dressing: In small bowl, combine garlic, mustard and salt and pepper to taste. With fork, mash to smooth paste. Add vinegar and whisk until smooth. Whisk in oil in thin stream until dressing has thickened. Whisk in reserved orange juice. Correct seasonings, adding salt or orange juice to taste.
5. Just before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss until spinach is lightly coated.