Curried Sweet Potatoes with Spinach and Chickpeas
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional Information4 to 6 Servings
Amount Per serving:
Meal Plan: While potatoes are steaming, bring large pot of water to a boil for cooking corn on the cob. Serve the sweet potato stew with corn on the cob, warmed pita bread and a salad of diced tomatoes and cucumbers in yogurt.
- 2 large sweet potatoes (2 lbs.), peeled and diced
- 16- to 20-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 10 to 12 oz. fresh spinach, preferably organic, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 green onions (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
- 1 to 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- In large saucepan fitted with steamer basket, bring 2 inches water to a boil over high heat. Add diced sweet potatoes, cover and cook until just tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, combine chickpeas, tomatoes and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add spinach, cover and cook just until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, cilantro, sgreen onions, curry powder, cumin, cinnamon and salt to taste until well combined. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until flavors have blended, about 5 minutes. Serve hot.