‘Sausage’ and Mashers
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional Information6 Servings
Amount Per serving:
- 2 1/2 lbs. small Yukon Gold potatoes, rinsed (and peeled if desired)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved lengthwise and sliced (2 cups)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or mushroom broth
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 Tbs. soy sauce
- 8-oz. pkg. soy “sausage” links, thawed if frozen, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup low-fat milk or soy milk, heated
- 1 tsp. butter or margarine
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and salt and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, sugar and thyme and cook, stirring often, until onion slices are golden. Stir in flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Stir in broth, wine and soy sauce. Simmer until thickened, stirring continuously. Add “sausage” to gravy and simmer until heated through.
- Drain and rinse potatoes; mash with potato masher. Add warm milk and butter and whip potatoes with hand mixer until fluffy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve mashed potatoes topped with gravy and “sausages.”