My YJ Recipes
Nutritional InformationSERVES 4 TO 5
Amount Per Serving:
- 1 large apple, halved and unpeeled
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup oat bran
- 2 Tbs. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, or to taste
- 2 to 21/2 cups applesauce for garnish
- Heat waffle iron. Core and dice half apple, keeping skin intact. Set aside diced apple and half apple.
- Beat egg yolks in large mixing bowl until frothy. Add apple juice, milk, lemon extract, lemon zest and vegetable oil, and beat until smooth. Sift flour with salt and baking powder, and fold into egg mixture. Stir in oats, oat bran, sugar, cinnamon and diced apple. Beat egg whites until stiff, and fold into batter.
- Spray hot waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray. Ladle batter onto iron, and cook according to manufacturer’s directions and to desired doneness. Remove from iron, place cooked waffle on serving plate and repeat until all batter is used up.
- To serve, garnish each waffle with 1/2 cup applesauce in center. Slice remaining half apple very thinly, and garnish applesauce or waffles with several apple slices.