Cheese Grits and Greens
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional InformationServes 4
Amount Per SERVING:
Grits aren’t just for Southern breakfasts. Add cheddar cheese and lots of garlic, spoon over hot greens, and you have a substantial meal. Wrap it up with a wedge of fruit tart.
- 1 lb. mixed greens, such as dandelion, mustard and collard greens, trimmed and well rinsed
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking grits
- 6 oz. shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cajun seasoning to taste
- Chop greens coarsely, and, with water still clinging to leaves, put in large pot. Steam over medium heat until wilted—a few minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and, when cool enough to handle, press greens to remove excess water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Cook garlic 2 to 3 minutes, or until fragrant. Add grits, and cook according to package directions. Stir in shredded cheese, salt and pepper, and continue stirring until cheese is melted throughout.
- To serve, divide greens among 4 plates, and spoon grits mixture over top. Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning.