My YJ Recipes
Nutritional InformationServes 16
Amount Per SERVING:
Charmingly old-fashioned, these wholesome bars pair the comforting flavors of apples and oats. They’re the perfect snack to pack in a lunch box or enjoy with a cup of tea.
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 3 cups peeled, chopped tart apples, such as Granny Smith
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease 9-inch square baking pan, or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in mixing bowl. Using fork or fingertips, work in oil and cider until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press about 1 1/2 cups oat mixture firmly into bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle with apples. Mix walnuts into remaining oat mixture, sprinkle evenly over apples and pat into even layer.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until top is golden and apples are tender when pierced with a fork. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into bars.