Mac and Cheese
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional InformationServes 8
Amount Per SERVING:
This enlightened recipe has 200 fewer calories than the standard homemade mac and cheese—yet it’s still creamy-cheesy. It’s great with a spinach and mushroom salad.
- 8 oz. medium-sized macaroni
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup reduced-fat cottage cheese
- 3 cups reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, until al dente. Drain, rinse under cold water; drain again.
- Process bread slices in food processor to fine crumbs. Add butter and 2 tsp. oil, and pulse to moisten. Transfer to small bowl.
- Purée cottage cheese in processor.
- Whisk 1/2 cup milk, flour and mustard in small bowl until smooth.
- In large, heavy-bottomed pan, heat remaining 1 tsp. oil over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, 6 to 8 minutes, or until softened. Add remaining 2 1/2 cups milk, and bring to a bare simmer. Whisk in flour mixture, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 to 7 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in puréed cottage cheese, Cheddar, and salt and black pepper to taste. Stir in macaroni, and transfer to baking dish. Sprinkle top with breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 to 35 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.