Cornmeal-Carrot Skillet Cakes
My YJ Recipes
Nutritional InformationServes 6
Amount Per SERVING:
30 minutes or fewer
These cheesy corncakes are a meal all by themselves when served with salsa, guacamole and a big tossed salad.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 2 carrots, grated (about 1 cup)
- 4 small green onions (white and pale green parts), thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese (about 3 oz.)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 200F, and set baking sheet lined with paper towels inside.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, mustard, salt and baking powder in medium bowl. Add carrots, green onions, cheese, egg and milk, and mix well.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Scoop tablespoonfuls of batter into pan, then spread flat with back of spoon to about 3-inch diameter. Cook cakes 2 1/2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Transfer to prepared pan in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve hot or at room temperature.