My YJ Recipes
Nutritional InformationMakes 24 brownies
Amount Per BROWNIE:
If you like your brownies soft and chewy, then you’ll love this recipe’s secret ingredient (sshhh … it’s prune baby food!) that keeps them moist and sweet. What’s more, the prune purée binds to the flour and sugar in the same way a fat would, meaning you only need half the margarine called for in traditional brownie recipes.
- 6 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 5-oz. jars prune purée
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- unsweetened cocoa powder and confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 9x9-inch baking pan with foil or parchment paper, and coat with cooking spray.
- Melt chocolate and margarine in double boiler, or in heatproof bowl in microwave on medium power. Whisk in sugar and prune purée.
- Combine flour and baking powder in large bowl. Fold flour mixture into chocolate mixture. Add vanilla. Spread batter in prepared pan, and bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until top looks dry and brownie is just beginning to pull away from sides of pan.
- Cool in pan. Unmold, and cut into 1x1-inch squares. Sift cocoa powder over half of brownies. Sprinkle confectioners’ sugar over remaining brownies. Store in airtight container.