Pairing cheese with apples becomes a gastronomic pleasure, and adding ruby chard simply embellishes the combination and amplifies the texture of this homey quiche.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 large Vidalia or other onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded ruby Swiss chard
- 1 cup (about 2 oz.) thinly sliced mushrooms
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped apple
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded Jarlsberg cheese
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 9-inch deep-dish pie crust, unbaked
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Heat oil and butter in large skillet over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and sauté onions until caramelized, about 15 minutes.
3. Add Swiss chard, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium, and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms and chard are soft, about 7 minutes.
4. Combine apples, flour and nutmeg in mixing bowl, and toss to coat apples. Combine eggs, cheese and milk in separate bowl, and beat until ingredients are well blended. Fold in apple mixture.
5. Spoon chard mixture into pie crust. Pour egg-cheese-apple mixture over top.
6. Bake 35 to 45 minutes, or until cheese mixture is set and top is browned. Cool slightly before slicing, and serve.
This slightly sweet, slightly savory quiche makes a nice addition to a brunch buffet, in which case break out the Champagne. Try Domaine Trouillard Non-Vintage Brut.
- Serving Size: SERVES 6
- Calories: 300
- Carbohydrate Content: 23 g
- Cholesterol Content: 105 mg
- Fat Content: 19 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 200 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g