Canned chickpeas and artichoke hearts are the quick-fix secrets to this sandwich spread, which works beautifully with the crunchy slaw. These ingredients travel easily for an afternoon picnic—wrap fillings and tortillas separately and let each diner assemble his or her own sandwich.
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, very thinly sliced
- 3 Tbs. plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbs. minced red onion
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 5 (9- to 10-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 medium carrots, shredded (3/4 cup)
- 1 1/4 cups very thinly sliced green cabbage
- 14-oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup tahini
- Small handful fresh parsley leaves
- 1 medium clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 to 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1. Make artichoke spread: In food processor or blender, combine all ingredients and 2 tablespoons water. Process until mixture is almost smooth but retains some texture and is slightly thicker than hummusif necessary, add more water by teaspoon to thin. Adjust seasonings to taste. Set aside or refrigerate if not using right away.
2. In medium bowl, combine cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, yogurt, parsley, onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix well.
3. In large skillet, warm each tortilla over medium heat just until soft and flexible, about 1 minute per side. Spread some artichoke mixture over each tortilla, leaving 1/2-inch border. Top with cabbage mixture, dividing equally. Fold bottom end of tortilla partially over filling, then roll into a bundle and serve.
- Serving Size: 5 servings
- Calories: 395
- Carbohydrate Content: 57 g
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 662 mg