You can use puff pastry as a substitute for the piecrust in these mini quiches if you’re in a pinch or desire a flakier crust. Just be sure to prick the puff pastry well with a fork to keep air pockets from forming in the crust.
- 1 15-oz. refrigerated ready-made piecrust
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 green onions, white and green parts, sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- 1 leek, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 8 oz. asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 whole egg, plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 2 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F. Unfold piecrust and cut into 24 round pieces. Press into two mini muffin pans (12 muffins per pan), making sure to press all the way up the sides of pans. Chill 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add green onions and garlic, and cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until soft. Add leek, asparagus and 1/3 cup water, and cook 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool 10 minutes, or until room temperature.
- Beat egg, egg yolk and cream in small bowl. Spoon 1 tsp. asparagus-leek mixture into crusts in muffin tins. Divide egg mixture among crusts, making sure mixture is level with top of each quiche. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until crust is golden and filling is set. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes on rack. Carefully remove quiches using knife or small spatula. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: Makes 24 mini quiches
- Calories: 91
- Carbohydrate Content: 8 g
- Cholesterol Content: 21 mg
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 109 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g