30 minutes or fewer
Pico de gallo means “rooster’s beak,” because this chunky, relish-like salsa is traditionally eaten by “pecking” at it with your thumb and forefinger. A spoon works just as well.
- 2 medium-size tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, plus 6 small sprigs for garnish
- 3 green onions, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 medium-size avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 15-oz. can hearts of palm, drained, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Combine tomatoes, chopped cilantro, green onions, garlic and jalapeño in medium bowl. Add avocado, hearts of palm, lime juice and salt; gently toss to mix.
- Spoon pico de gallo mixture into 6 martini glasses, and garnish with a sprig of cilantro.
- Serving Size: Serves 6 (makes 4 cups)
- Calories: 79
- Carbohydrate Content: 8 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 308 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g