An unusual bagel offering, this makes a delicious main or side dish. Adapted from The Bagel Bible: For Bagel Lovers, the Complete Guide to Great Noshing.
- 1 Tbs. margarine
- 4 bagels, halved
- 7 large eggs or 13/4 cups egg substitute
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups soymilk, low-fat milk or nonfat milk
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 oz. low-fat Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 6 oz. low fat cheddar cheese, grated
- Grease a 2-quart baking dish with margarine and a light coating of nonstick cooking spray. Cut bagel halves into bite-sized pieces, and set aside.
- Beat together eggs, salt, milk, paprika and pepper in a mixing bowl. Put half of the bagel cubes in baking dish.
- Mix cheeses together. Place half of cheese mixture on top of bagel cubes. Create another layer by repeating with remaining bagel cubes and remaining cheese.
- Carefully ladle egg mixture into baking dish over bagel-cheese layers, poking holes in bagels with a knife to assure that egg mixture seeps in evenly. Refrigerate dish overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake souffl8E for 1 hour, or until top is golden. Remove from oven, and serve hot.
A Chardonnay would be a good match for this elegant cheese souffl8E. Bogle Chardonnay, if you’re looking for a light but enjoyable white, would go well with the souffl8E, or try the lush, full-bodied Liberty School Chardonnay.
- Serving Size: SERVES 8
- Calories: 360
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 205 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 770 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g