This dish can turn any meal into a walloping country-style bash. It makes a perfect companion for a tossed green salad and a dessert favorite—lemon meringue pie.
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 6 oz. barbecue-flavored baked tofu, cubed
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Anaheim or other chile, seeded and thinly sliced, or more to taste
- 1/2 head regular or Savoy cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups vegetarian-style baked beans
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, or to taste
- 1 apple, cored and cubed
- 2 cups (about 8 oz.) cubed cornbread plus extra for garnish
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 2-quart ovenproof baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium heat, and sauté tofu, celery, onion, chile and cabbage. Cook about 8 minutes, and add baked beans, 1/4 cup barbecue sauce and apples. Continue cooking about 5 minutes more.
- Line baking dish with cornbread, going up sides of dish. Spoon bean mixture into baking dish, and top with cornbread, making top crust. Drizzle remaining barbecue sauce over top, and dot with butter.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until cornbread starts to turn golden. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: SERVES 6 TO 8
- Calories: 310
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 450 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g