When Nicole Filizetti isn’t teaching, she spends time cooking up meals from scratch for her husband and two children. "We're big on having breakfast for dinner," she explains. "Making this veg version of biscuits and gravy seemed like a good way to add some lentils into my family's diet." For an unusually light take on a decadent breakfast favorite, serve this gravy over whole-grain English muffins rather than biscuits. You'll shave an extra 100 calories off your meal, and the crispy texture goes great with gravy. This fantastic recipe won third place in VT's 2008 Reader Recipe Contest.
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup diced carrot (1 carrot)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- ¼ cup plus 1 Tbs. unbleached flour
- 1½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. ground yellow mustard seed
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp. rubbed (crumbled) sage
- 2½ cups low-fat milk
- ½ cup Annie’s Naturals Cowgirl Ranch Dressing
- 8 whole-grain biscuits or 4 English muffins
1. Bring lentils and 3 cups water to a boil in 2-qt. saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 30 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, and set aside.
2. Heat oil over medium-high heat in large skillet. Add onion and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bell pepper, carrot, and garlic, and cook 5 to 8 more minutes, or until vegetables are tender but not mushy. Stir in flour, black pepper, paprika, mustard, red pepper flakes, and sage; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, stirring after each addition. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, whisking constantly, until gravy comes to a gentle boil. Remove from heat, and stir in ranch dressing and drained lentils.
3. Split biscuits or English muffins. Lightly toast English muffins, if using. Place biscuits on plates, and top with gravy.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 461
- Carbohydrate Content: 55 g
- Cholesterol Content: 11 mg
- Fat Content: 21 g
- Fiber Content: 11 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 379 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g