30 minutes or fewer
2005 Recipe Contest Finalist Jennifer Burke, a San Franciscan Web designer and mom of two, entered this year’s contest after a 12-year hiatus—her recipe for Farfalle with Carrot, Sage and Scallions won our grand prize in 1993. The secret to this recipe’s success, she says, is to resist the urge to turn the tofu before it has a chance to blacken.
Cashew Coconut Rice
- 3/4 cup basmati rice
- 1/3 cup raw cashew pieces
- 2 Tbs. unsweetened shredded dried coconut
- 2 tsp. avocado or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Black-Bottom Pineapple Tofu
- 1 15-oz. can pineapple chunks in unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 Tbs. tamari soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs. avocado or vegetable oil
- 16 oz. firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds, for garnish
- To make Cashew Coconut Rice: Place all ingredients in saucepan. Cook over medium heat 4 minutes, or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Add 1 1/2 cups water, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, make Black-Bottom Pineapple Tofu: Drain pineapple chunks, and reserve liquid. Combine pineapple liquid (about 1 cup), tamari, balsamic vinegar and oil in large nonstick skillet. Add tofu cubes in single layer, and bring to a boil over high heat. Continue boiling—without turning tofu cubes—9 minutes, or until liquid becomes a thick syrup and tofu cube bottoms are dark brown. Sprinkle pineapple chunks, diced carrot and diced pepper between tofu cubes, reduce heat to medium, and cook 4 minutes, or until pineapple chunks begin to brown. Remove from heat, and toss ingredients with spatula.
- Fluff rice with fork, and spoon onto one side of a serving dish. Transfer tofu mixture to other side of serving dish. Sprinkle with cilantro and sesame seeds.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 424
- Carbohydrate Content: 50 g
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 517 mg
- Sugar Content: 19 g