These patties are a wonderful main dish and may be served with tomato salsa, guacamole or cheese sauce. You may use frozen corn in this recipe, though it is also a great use for day-old corn on the cob.
- 4 cups cooked black-eyed peas, drained
- 4 ears corn or 3 cups corn kernels
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 2 tsp. mashed garlic
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced, or 1/2 cup canned chopped green chiles
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup minced scallions
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- 1 tsp. salt
- Mash black-eyed peas coarsely with potato masher or electric mixer. Set aside.
- If using frozen corn, put kernels in food processor, and purée. Set aside. For cob corn, use a sharp knife to slice halfway through corn kernels, then slice kernels off cob into bowl. Use back of knife to scrape off remaining corn.
- Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet, and add garlic, jalapeños and cumin. Sauté 2 minutes, and add corn. Reduce heat to low; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Mix mashed peas, corn mixture, scallions, cilantro and salt; cool. Form into 8 patties about 1-inch thick and 4 inches round in diameter.
- Heat large nonstick griddle over medium heat, and brush with remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Cook patties 5 minutes per side, or until golden, crisp and heated through. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 190
- Carbohydrate Content: 32 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 300 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g