If you are serving more than four, the first part of the recipe doubles easily, and the quantity of sauce given below will suffice.
- 1 to 1 1/2 Tbs. pickle relish or to taste
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard or to taste
- 1 Tbs. natural soy mayonnaise or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 lb. firm or extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 1 tsp. salt-free herb-and-spice seasoning mix
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Tartar Sauce
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat soy yogurt
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Cut tofu into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Blot well between several layers of paper towel, then cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
- In shallow bowl, mix wheat germ, seasoning mix and salt. Add tofu sticks and coat with mixture. Arrange breaded tofu on a lightly oiled nonstick baking sheet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until the cutlets are golden and firm.
- Meanwhile, make tartar sauce. In small bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- Serve cutlets warm with sauce as a topping or on the side.
- Serving Size: 4 Servings
- Calories: 269
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Cholesterol Content: 17 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 501 mg