Broccoli and Cheddar are a winning combination in this savory bread pudding. Cooking the loaf in a water bath (a pan filled with hot water) keeps it tender and moist. This recipe is a great way to use up day-old French bread—just skip the toasting step.
- 3 cups cubed French bread, fresh or day-old
- 1 medium-sized red onion, diced
- 1 14-oz. pkg. chopped frozen broccoli, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups grated reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- If using fresh bread, place bread cubes on ungreased baking sheet, spritz with cooking spray and toast 5 to 10 minutes, or until crisp but not brown. Transfer bread cubes to large bowl.
- Coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add onion, and sauté over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, or until browned. Remove pan from heat, and stir in 1 cup water.
- Toss bread cubes with broccoli and cheese. Add eggs and onion mixture, and combine, using hands, gently squeezing mixture to make sure bread absorbs all liquid. Press into loaf pan.
- Place loaf pan in large roasting pan on middle rack of oven. Pour hot water into roasting pan until it reaches halfway up sides of loaf pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until loaf is browned on top. Slice and serve immediately, or let sit 15 minutes, unmold and slice.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 204
- Carbohydrate Content: 15 g
- Cholesterol Content: 126 mg
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 395 mg
- Sugar Content: 2 g