Jarred roasted red peppers work beautifully in this recipe. You can make and chill it a day before serving. Makes about 1 1/2 cups purée.
Red Pepper Purée
- 1 16-oz. jar roasted, peeled, brine-packed red peppers, drained and rinsed
- 1 large clove garlic
- 3 Tbs. fresh (soft) unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbs. sun-dried tomato pesto
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 12 1/2-inch-thick slices good-quality Italian bread
- 1 large clove garlic, cut in half
To make Bruschetta Toasts:
1. Preheat broiler, and place oven rack about 6 inches from heat. Place bread on baking sheet, and broil 2 to 4 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Turn toast over, and repeat. When cool enough to handle, rub one side of each toast with cut garlic clove.
To make Red Pepper Purée:
1. Blot rinsed peppers with paper towels until quite dry.
2. Put garlic down feed tube of food processor with motor running, and process about 15 seconds, until finely chopped. Add peppers, breadcrumbs, pesto and vinegar, and purée until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Spread 1 heaping Tbs. on each bruschetta toast; sprinkle with olive oil, and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 252
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 568 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g