The two vegetables are delicious complements to the Mole Poblano because they offer a perfect flavor spark and a chewy mouth-feel as a counterpoint to the sauce.
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks (4 to 6 cups)
- 2 large sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (4 to 5 cups)
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 3 Tbs. dried Mexican oregano
- 2 Tbs. dried thyme
- 2 Tbs. pure, mild ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp. to 1 Tbs. kosher or sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray 2 large baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine squash and sweet potatoes or yams in large mixing bowl. Stir in oil, oregano, thyme, chile powder and salt. Place vegetables in equal portions on baking sheets, and spread out in one layer.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Stir vegetables, rotate pan positions in oven and bake 15 minutes more. Remove from oven, and serve on top of scoop of Mole Poblano.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 130
- Carbohydrate Content: 22 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 710 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g