Chinese long beans—18-inch green beans sold in Asian markets—stay crisp in stir-frys.
- 3 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbs. honey
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 8-oz. pkg. tempeh, sliced
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil, divided
- 12 oz. green beans, trimmed and halved (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 6 oz. fresh shiitake mushrooms, quartered (about 2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 4 tsp.)
- 1 Tbs. fresh ginger, minced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, sesame oil and red pepper flakes in bowl. Add tempeh and stir to coat. Marinate 30 minutes. Drain, reserving marinade. Whisk 1/4 cup water and cornstarch into marinade.
- Heat 1 Tbs. vegetable oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tempeh and stir-fry 4 minutes, or until golden. Transfer tempeh to plate with slotted spoon.
- Add remaining 1 Tbs. vegetable oil to skillet. Add green beans and bell pepper, and stir-fry 6 minutes. Add mushrooms, and stir-fry 3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger, and stir-fry 30 seconds.
- Add tempeh and marinade to skillet, and cook, 1 minute, stirring often, or until sauce thickens slightly. Sprinkle with green onions, and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 179
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 374 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g