If you like chai tea, you'll love this creamy, comforting dessert studded with apples and raisins. For the best flavor, choose a strong, spicy chai tea; we used Tazo's chai tea bags.
- 3 1/2 cups unsweetened soymilk or low-fat milk
- 4 black chai tea bags
- 1 cup short- or medium-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 medium-sized apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/4 cup dark raisins
- whipped cream for garnish, optional
- cinnamon for garnish, optional
1. Bring 2 cups water and 1 cup soymilk to a boil in large saucepan. Remove from heat, and add teabags. Cover, and steep 5 minutes. Remove tea bags, squeezing out any liquid.
2. Stir rice, sugar and salt into tea mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add remaining 2 1/2 cups soymilk, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, or until rice is soft. Stir in apple and raisins; remove from heat. Cover pot, and let sit 10 minutes.
3. Spoon pudding into 2-quart heatproof dish. Serve warm or cold, with whipped cream and cinnamon, if desired.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 208
- Carbohydrate Content: 43 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 75 mg
- Sugar Content: 20 g