This delicious dessert fondue keeps fat and calories in check by caramelizing milk in much the same way that dulce de leche, the South American caramel sauce, is made. Serve it with cubes of angel food cake, or toasted pound cake, strawberries, sliced bananas, pineapple chunks or vegetarian marshmallows.
- 1/4 cup condensed milk
- 3/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Put condensed milk in stove-proof fondue pot over medium-low heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until it turns light caramel, about 7 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in evaporated milk. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly; cook 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla, chocolate and salt, and stir until smooth.
- Place fondue pot over warmer, and serve with dippers.
- Calories: 49
- Carbohydrate Content: 6 g
- Cholesterol Content: 1 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 30 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g