30 MINUTES OR LESS
This lush, creamy-soft pudding—infused with coconut, vanilla and almond flavors and sparked by a topping of colorful strawberries—beckons after a meal of grilled vegetables and tofu—or after any Asian-inspired or Pacific Rim-based main dish. Do not whisk cornstarch, as it will break down, and that prevents it from thickening properly. Instead, stir gently and slowly with a wooden spoon. Serve the pudding warm with chilled fruit juice and individual coconut macaroons or almond cookies. The strawberries add a festive splash of color against the white pudding. The special benefit of this pudding is that you can make it at the very last minute because it tastes sumptuous when eaten while it is still warm.
- 3 Tbs. cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or to taste
- 2 cups light coconut milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 6 coconut macaroons, crumbled
- 1 qt. strawberries, rinsed, stemmed and sliced, for garnish
- Combine cornstarch, egg yolks, salt and sugar in mixing bowl. Stir in 1/4 cup coconut milk to make paste.
- Pour remaining coconut milk into large saucepan, and, stirring gently with wooden spoon, add cornstarch mixture to pan. Heat over medium heat, and bring to a boil, stirring slowly and gently. Immediately reduce heat to medium-low, add vanilla and almond extracts and continue stirring occasionally, carefully scraping sides of pan.
- When pudding is thickened but not stiff, remove pan from heat, and pour pudding into serving bowl. Stir in shredded coconut, and sprinkle top with crumbled coconut macaroons. Serve warm pudding with strawberries.
To pair desserts that are creamy and fruity with a dessert wine, you should consider late harvest wines made from white wine grapes. While there are many choices, think about selecting a German Beerenauslese and Trockenbeerenauslese made from Riesling, French Sauternes made from Semillon, and Hungarian Tokaji Aszu made from a grape variety called Furmint. Any of these would complement the smoothness of this coconut pudding.
- Calories: 510
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 19 g
- Sugar Content: 51 g