Try this homemade pizza technique with your favorite toppings as well.
- 1 tsp. light brown sugar
- ½ pkg. dry yeast (¼ oz.)
- ¾ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs. flax meal or ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 8 cups loosely packed kale
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp. ground fennel seed
- 2 Tbs. Neufchâtel cheese (2 oz.)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (4 oz.)
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano or basil
1. To make Dough: Dissolve brown sugar in ½ cup warm water in large bowl. Stir in yeast, and let stand 5 minutes, or until liquid is cloudy and bubbly. Stir in whole-wheat flour, ¼ cup all-purpose flour, flax meal, oil, and salt. Knead 2 minutes while adding ¼ cup flour. Oil separate bowl, and turn dough in oil to coat. Cover, and let rise in warm spot until dough doubles in size, about 45 minutes.
2. To make Topping: Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes. Add kale, cover, and cook 15 minutes, or until kale is softened, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and fennel seed, and cook 7 to 10 minutes more, or until all liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat, and stir in Neufchâtel cheese.
3. Preheat oven to 475°F. Oil bottom and sides of 12-inch cast iron skillet. With floured hands, pat and stretch Dough over bottom and halfway up sides of skillet. Let dough rest 5 minutes. Spread kale mixture on dough; scatter feta cheese, tomatoes, and oregano on top. Place skillet directly on oven floor, and bake 15 minutes. Remove carefully from oven, and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 274
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Cholesterol Content: 24 mg
- Fat Content: 14 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 566 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g